Rome Weekender Slow-along
Welcome to the Rome weekender slow-along. This is a collaborative project chosen and led by members to support learning. This could be the perfect opportunity to try out some walking foot or free machine quilting while making a superb bag.
The Rome Weekender is a commercial pattern by Dhurata Davies. She has been kind enough to offer all of those on the slow-along a 10% discount code for the pattern using code 'ROME10 you can purchase the pattern here.
Slow Along Overview
- Each new week starts on Saturday morning- weekly check ins with progress are encouraged.
- If you gallop ahead try not to overshare- but take photos along the way and share in a timely manner!
If you need to tweak the pattern or want support making modifications ask for help!
You may be thinking about…
- Location and size of water bottle pocket
- Adding a Key lobster clasp- probably insert at junction of zipper and bottom loops
- Checking the length of handles so it can be a shoulder/or holdall
- Making the outer pockets with a zip or magnetic closure
- Adding a Trolley sleeve
- Adding a Personal Label
- Fabric type and placement (waterproof interior?)
- Directional fabrics…Maximising functionality and placement of fabrics
- Easier if using fussy cutting for external pockets
- Padding an internal pocket for laptop (and adding velcro type closure)
- Using insulation foam for food or water bottle in internal pocket
Week by Week Plan
Week 1 (begins on Saturday January 13th)
- Fabric selection and read the whole pattern!
- Plan modifications
- Print pattern.
- Order fabric, interfacing, bag hardware and zipper (and pulls)
- Consider pocket construction, vinyl, mesh, fabric etc
Week 2 (Saturday 20th January)
- Cut and quilt fabric (cut quilted portions only).
- Consider how you want to make the gusset loop- you may decide to quilt it!
Week 3 (Saturday 27th January)
- Cut remaining materials
- Prepare pockets part 1 (outside pockets)
- Plan inner pockets
Week 4 (Saturday 3rd February)
- Prepare inside and gusset pockets
- Create bias binding for final construction
Week 5 (Saturday 10th February)
- Plan and prepare handles, tabs, and straps
- Carrying strap pad (optional- lots of free patterns, Byannie or sew sweetness)
Week 6 (Saturday 17th February)
- Bag front
- finalise add extras, key clasp etc
Week 7 (Saturday 24th February)
- Bag back finalise
Week 8 (Saturday 2nd March)
- Make gusset loop (remember pockets)
- Make binding (if you have not already done this )
Week 9 (Saturday 9th March)
- Attach binding to edges of gusset loop
- Use clips to secure back and front to gusset loop (leave to rest for a few days if using foam)
Week 10 (Saturday 16th March)
- Sew back and front to gusset loop and finish binding
- Roll seams and clip if needed!
- Press finished bag (check material before you press!)
- And now celebrate!
There is also a group WhatsApp for this as part of the Cambridgeshire MQG community. If you have any questions do drop us an email.